After having written quite a number of posts about my adventures finding shop made assistive technology solutions, I’ll come back to my hobby and passion: woodworking. You may notice that I’ve yet to write anything on Greene and Greene furniture, and start to wonder why. It’s simply because I’m still working on my G&G woodworking projects, My first project is a small book shelf for my kids and I’m now working on a coffee table. I promise to write on my bookshelf in my next post.
This is a project that I made for a friend. I charged her $160 for it and it certainly does not cover my labour cost. It was more for learning than to make money.
It was simply a box made from 3/4 inch thick plywood held together with pocket screws. The back is rebated into the carcass. The carcass is finished with walnut colour laminate. The drawers are made of 15mm blockboard which is finished on one side. The other side is finished with white plastic laminate. They are on standard drawer guides. The drawer based is dadoed into the sides.
I felt that pocket screws made the job a lot easier. It was easy to assemble the carcass, but I felt that the joint was not strong enough. I would have preferred it with glue but that would make alignment a nightmare. The glue also will not stick to the PVC laminate on the inside.
Applying large pieces of laminate was difficult, espicially when I wanted the grain to run. It didn’t. For the sides, I tried using the laminate trimmer. It sucked big time. My preference will still be my trusty old bastard file.
Fixing the drawers was a breeze. Overall, I would say finshing was the most difficult of problems. Scratches on the laminate was most annoying. So be careful with that bastard in your hand ( I mean the file).